Tuesday, July 12, 2016

QR CODES AND CONNECTIONS

This is a cool video that connects to so much of the way I think and see the world of writing, thinking, and connecting to the world. At one point, we were talking about the death of the novel at a master's course, and I argued that it isn't dying - it is changing in a way that you don't see. This connects to that kind of thinking. Thanks Joe Dillion for directing me to it. 




I like the idea of hyper linking and connecting that way and perhaps that is a different chapter. But in the spirit of the Pokeman Go crazy, there is something very tangible about a QR Code that can be printed on a syllabus, plastered on a t-shirt, or added to a billboard. They are not always ideal and they aren't the innovation to change the world, but when a student asks for assignment in the library and I don't have a copy, I let him scan the QR Code with his phone and he has it. Cool. 


I also think about connecting things. Imagine creating a book that needs instructions. Use a QR Code to connect readers to the instructions. In the case of Scott Momaday's On the Way to the Rainey Mountain, there is so much interconnection to that book and The Anicent Child that one is really a connective myth guide to the other. Not only can we link other texts, we can create small text messages, connections, and locations that make scanning this information important and relevant to your life. 

In a graphic novel course, I had students review graphic novels and then put their QR Codes on bookmarks and stuck the bookmarks in the books at the library. Students could scan the codes and read a peer-reviews of the graphic novel. 

It is interesting in the video above when it discusses that XML doesn't "define form. It defines the content." What does that mean to the novelist, the poet, the journalist? What does it mean? I will let you know when I find out more. 

P.S. QR Code Dice - how fun would that be?




0 comments:

Post a Comment